Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mini-Review: The Muppets (A)

For around the last hour or so, I've attempted to write a full review for the family Thanksgiving movie The Muppets, but due to a series of incomplete attempts I've settled with myself to write a mini-review of the film. Usually in cases like these, I'll decide not to write a review at all (one example of this would be for Morgan Spurlock's The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, which I've tried to write a review for about four times. It's a good movie though.), but in the case of this film I realized I had to write a review simply to share the soul touching delight this movie is. Though I've never considered myself a "superfan" of the muppets, this film gave me a sense of incredible joy which I have rarely felt in a movie theater before.

Starring Jason Segel, Amy Adams, Chris Cooper, every darn muppet you can imagine, and the most tremendous amount of celebrity cameos since The Love Guru, The Muppets takes the traditional "let's put on a show" plot and turns it into a meditative yet all the hilarious take on the fallen icons themselves. Simultaneously hilarious, creative, nostalgic, and thoughtful, The Muppets delivers on all accounts and more. Also to be noted are the songs; before entering the theater I didn't even know it was a musical (though I sort of guessed that it would be, considering the only two other muppet movies I've seen were), but the songs were the added push to make a great film truly outstanding. One of the quotes from "Pictures In My Head," a ballad sang by Kermit goes like this:

"If we could do it all again, just another chance to entertain
Would anybody watch or even care?
Or did something break we cant repair?"

To answer your question Kermit, everything is just like you never left.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment